Today we visited Gateshead library who were holding a special event in celebration of Elmer the Elephant turning 30 this year.
Activities on offer at the library today included;
• Hunt for Elmer and his friends hidden around the library
• Pin the tail on Elmer.
• Help us finish our huge Elmer collage.
• Storytimes at 11.30am, 12.30pm, 1.30pm and 2.30pm
• Build Elmer from Lego bricks at our Lego table.
• Select Elmer worksheets and colouring from our Elmer table throughout the day
• Create a recycled Elmer at our 11am craft session.
• Make a simple Makey Makey Elmer – families can learn how to make simple circuits to make sounds.
• Communal doodle celebrating diversity and colour
• Create your own animated pattern for Elmer – a collective effort will be shared on social media at the end of the day
• Face painting and glitter tattoos
• Clay modelling elephants and sensory play
• Elmer rocks- inspired by the Tyneside rocks craze
We had a go at most of these, and I was impressed it was all free (other than a small donation request for the face painter). It was well attended, and great to see the community coming together with local businesses offering most of the activities.
I was also impressed that the library offer many other free activities to encourage people to use their services – from family board games, to world wide knit day, from coding clubs to treasure hunts, and from talks about authors, singers, and USA holidays to a Harry Potter evening for grown ups. All are listed on their very own app. There is plenty of free parking, and the cafe offers good value – see the menu below.
Being a big fan of the Snowdogs in 2016, I’ve been eagerly awaiting the sequel “Elmer’s Great North Parade” which will launch 19th August and run until 27th October. During this time, approximately 60 large Elmers – each one decorated by an artist or celebrity – will be positioned around Tyne and Wear, mostly near Metro stations. In addition, another 100 smaller Elmers will be available to children and community groups taking part in an extensive associated learning program.
Did you attend Elmer’s family day? Are you looking forward to Elmer’s Great North Parade?
#ElmersFamilyDay #GatesheadLibrary #Elmers30thBirthday #ElmersGreatNorthParade